CMHA branches across Manitoba offer a variety of services. Our services are informed by CMHA’s Framework for Support and the recovery model as a basis for working with people with mental health illnesses and challenges.
Employment with Supports provides the tools and information for the achievement of satisfying and successful employment. A rapid employment approach is used to support participants looking to join or return to the workforce.
Individuals qualify for the program if:
- Currently unemployed or under employed (less than 20 hours per week)
- Ready and willing and able to be employed within 1-6 months
- Willing to be marketed to employers as participants in the program
- Motivated to work and willing to participate in frequent appointments weekly
The service involves a brief engagement period where employment skills are taught, individuals are prepared to enter the workforce and an effective resume is developed followed by an intense job search process. Job retention supports are provided once employment has been found.
We take a team approach and work collaboratively with participants. In-person meetings and job development activities increase understanding of the roles of employees and what is required to meet an employer’s expectations.
There are countless benefits to employers when hiring individuals accessing our service. Below are few benefits to employers.
- Reduction in staff turnover
- Less time and money spent on recruitment and training
- An inclusive workplace offering different strengths and problem-solving skills
- Fosters creativity and innovation
- Tailored education and training opportunities
- Psychological health and safety consulting services
- Resume development and interview preparation
- Assistance with job search and connecting with employers
- Workshops that focus on employment skills and mental wellness
- Job retention supports
Employment with Supports Drop-In
- Be interested in self-employment.
- Self-identify as an individual who has experienced mental health and/or addiction challenges.
- Unable to acquire traditional bank financing for your business.
- Not have money owing to CRA.
- In addition, clients should not be in active bankruptcy or behind on child support payments.
We offer the following programs:
- EnterpRISING You: go-at-your-own-pace online program for aspiring entrepreneurs of all ages.
- Small Business Lending Program: provides entrepreneurs unable to secure traditional financing with an opportunity to access low-interest loans, mentorship and other supports to help them build a small business.
- Peer Support Startup Program: provides entrepreneurs aged 30+ with access to skills training, business guidance and the support of a peer network.
- Youth Small Business Program: offers 20 virtual classes and group mentoring sessions to help aspiring entrepreneurs build confidence and develop business plans.
- EnterpRISEing Youth Plus: combines the flexibility of our EnterpRISEing You online program with the added value of 8 weekly virtual classroom workshops and peer support discussion groups.